1. Ability scores generation method?
18D6, distribute 3 dice per ability. A rolled 6 gets rerolled and a player may change the new result with an old one.
2. How are death and dying handled?
With zero hp you are unconcious. With -1 to -3 hp a character looses 1 hp per round and he dies at -10 if not prevented by Con-Check, healing or first aid. If is at at 0 hp or above and damage puts him to -4 hp or less, he is dead. Same goes for the monsters and NPCs. Additionally a player may opt to cheat death one time per level.
3. What about raising the dead?
It's possible. 1000 gp per level and the occasional favour. It helps to believe into the god.
4. How are replacement PCs handled?
Roll a new character and rejoin the session as soon as possible.
5. Initiative: individual, group, or something else?
6. Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work?
For fumbles I use the Arduin Tables (for now). Crits do maximum damage and echo applies (not rolling a 12 on the D12 results in fatigue damage now...).
7. Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet?
Maybe, but I handle armour a bit differently, so here is a post unwritten...
8. Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly?
Not if they cooperate in Combat. Area damage and fumbles on the other hand do that for you.
9. Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything?
If it's around and angry, it might be able to kill them all. They might not be in a position to return the favour.
10. Level-draining monsters: yes or no?
Oh yeah, they exist.
11. Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death?
Yes, could happen. Well, happened already, to be honest.
12. How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked?
I keep an eye on it, but not as closely as I should.
13. What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time?
Happens automatically. Fast and simple.
14. What do I get experience for?
We keep score of the damage the party takes and delivers and multiply it by 10 at the end of the session, then everybody gets his share. Additionaly there are quest related xp and xp for roleplaying (loosely oriented at HackMaster).
15. How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination?
Description first, dice rolling after that if necessary.
16. Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work?
They try, but those guys have a tendency to die away or flee.
17. How do I identify magic items?
Per the spell or for 100 gp by any MU who might be bothered to care.
18. Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions?
Yeah, you can buy them, but they are very rare and very expensive. Potions are available (500 gp per healing potion).
19. Can I create magic items? When and how?
Yeah, as soon as you have the spells to do so...
20. What about splitting the party?
I like it, the players don't.